clomping, wheezing, thunderstorm running

I ended up missing just over a week of training – four sessions, to be exact – because, as it turned out, dying from the plague was taking up a lot of my time.  No, seriously.  In case you haven’t heard, my eardrum ruptured, I went to three doctors in the space of two days, and I missed two and a half days of work.  It was pretty nasty indeed.

But this past Tuesday, even though I was still feeling kind of lousy, I felt like if I didn’t drag myself out to the trail, I’d never get back to it.  Sammi and Jamie and I coordinated meeting shortly after 5.  Since we’d missed a week of training, we decided to do that week we missed.  So that means for this week and next week, our training sessions are 24 minutes of walking and 6 minutes of running.

On Tuesday we were in a hurry, so we didn’t go in as far on the trail as we usually do.  But even so?  That run sucked.  It sucked so hard that I cried about it later and used it as further evidence that I Sucked At Life.  (I was building a case, see.)  We decided to split up the intervals into 8 minutes of walking and 2 running, and dude.  I just could not do it.  I used my inhaler ahead of time, I have arch inserts in my shoes now, and I was worse than the worst contestants on the very first episode of The Biggest Loser.  I clomped and wheezed my way through the slowest, most difficult forty-five seconds of running I’ve ever done in my life, and that was the longest interval I managed that day.  Forty-five measly seconds.  I ran ten here and thirty there and it MIGHT have added up to three minutes out of thirty.  But somehow I doubt it.  I kept trying to tell myself and S & J that the next one would be better, the next one would be better, but I was miserable.

Today we vowed to do it better.  We decided to take Bean out with us, and to adjust so that instead of walking 8 minutes and running 2 minutes three times, we walked 4 and ran 1 six times.  The only problem was that it was supposed to rain this afternoon.

And rain it did.  But for some reason we felt really motivated and decided the rain wasn’t that bad and we’d go out and brave it.  And I’m still fighting off this infection, but I used my inhaler and felt like I finally had the energy to give it a shot.

You guys, the rain was totally bad.  And I was wearing my glasses, so partway through I decided to put them on my head like sunglasses and run blind.  And my dog, my little web-footed water dog?  Yeah, he HATES the rain and he hated me for making him go out in it.  So we were soaking wet and it was kind of nasty outside and we had to start counting approximate intervals instead of drowning the iPod, but dude.  I ran a portion of all six intervals.  For three of them, I made it through the full minute running.  I made it about thirty seconds on the other three.  But I ran!  I’m still sick and it was pouring rain and my puppy was miserable and trying to hipcheck me the whole time, but I RAN.

And I would like to share that my ass is really sore from it.


#1 Kristen on 04.09.10 at 12:42 am

Running really sucks in the beginning. As much as it’s a physical challenge, it’s such a mental one also. Don’t be frustrated, just continue on. Keep challenging yourself. Remember why you’re doing it- you want to be strong and healthy and prove to yourself that you can do more than you ever thought you could.

Once you’re over your sickness, take it up a notch. Don’t stop running, even when it’s hard and you feel like you can’t go one more step. You can go one more step. Do your full minute, even if it’s slow. It doesn’t have to be a 1 minute all out sprint.

And mostly, be proud of yourself. You’re making a wonderful change in your life.

#2 Lauren on 04.09.10 at 3:56 am

Rock on Lorie, rock on.

#3 Seth Strong on 04.09.10 at 1:15 pm

You rock for sure.